Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Taking A Moment


I just want to take a moment in the midst of my busy day to express my appreciation for my wonderful understanding husband, the friends I have, my wonderful companion of a dog, the work I do, and my ability to travel to races. I sometimes don't take these moments to fully appreciate the gifts I have and the gifts I have been given until after-the-fact: after a fun trip, a good race, and some QT (quality time) with my friends and Daisy.


So instead of waiting, I am doing it right now!! I am totally swamped with very little room to breathe as I tie up my loose ends with work and life. I have yet to pack for my trip, which is totally unlike me. I haven't even run all of the errands I need to. And to top it off, it wasn't until this morning that I sent the instructions of care for Daisy to the kind-hearted soul who is taking her in. AHHHH...deep breath!


I am so thankful that my husband is taking the trip to California with me, and we get a weekend together. I miss the fact that we have such different schedules right now. I am so thankful that I got run with my friends last weekend to catch-up in a way we can sometimes only do on the trails. I am thankful that work is going well, and almost too well for me to manage. I am thankful that I am feeling so healthy, inspite of fighting all of the germs that are threatening to make me sick (I can be a bit of a germ-phobe, and coach women that often have sick kids). I feel so blessed everyday for the gift of getting into WS, again, and having the opportunity to train, get stronger, and find my way to the finishline.


And, lastly, I am so thankful to have the wonderful loyalty of my constant training companion...my dog, Daisy. She is a German-Shorthaired Pointer. I have had her since she was 6 weeks old, and she is now 11. She is always ready to go for a run, and willing to run however far and at whatever pace I want her to. She looks at me constantly with loving eyes. She was with me before I was ever a runner, and still loved me. She has forgiven me for some awful relationships, and was thrilled when I met my husband...the Alpha in the house. She loves him, but she knows who her mother is. She can be rigid and annoying, but so can I. Needless to say, I am thankful that she is healthy and part of my life!


For all of these things, I feel truly blessed and am truly appreciative. I will remember this as I run on Saturday because it is so important to remember the people and things that help you get there, and not always about the process of just doing it.


Anyway, sorry for the ramblings...my mind is scattered but appreciative on this beautiful afternoon!

6 comments:

clea said...

great post. You are right that it is good to take a moment and remember how lucky we are to do this stuff.

aka Moogy said...

Sending a BUNCH of positive vibes for you and Paul this weekend!
Have fun. 8)
Yes...I count my blessings every time I lace on those shoes.

meredith said...

Thanks! I hope you have a great weekend. I am looking forward to running with you at PP next weekend.

Erin said...

Good luck, Meredith. I like this post - it's nice to take a breather and take stock of all that is good in your life. :)

brownie said...

What the hell?!?!? Where's the Way Too Cool update?

meredith said...

Can't I get back into town FIRST!!!